Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Gossip

This is an article from our new author for the blog, Savannah Brenyo. Her internet isn't working right now, so I'm posting it for her. As soon as she can she will post an introduction for herself. Here's her post:


"Gossip hurts. It hurts you, it hurts others, and it grieves our Lord. When we talk to one another our conversations must be edifying; Philippians 4:8 says, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable if there is any excellence, anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Our words reflect what we think about. 
   When someone in your circle of friends starts to gossip you need to tell them to stop, and if they don't, you need to leave. Never approve or allow gossip in your hearing. Romans 1:29-32 says, "They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know Gods decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them." "They are gossips" is put in with "full of murder" and "haters of God." It's a really big deal. We can't become complacent. We can't be okay when someone starts to say things about someone else that is unprofitable. Giving approval of someone else doing it is just as bad as doing it yourself. Gossip happens before you know it and I have found myself hurt and hurting because of it. We have to guard our words, we have to guard our mouths, and we have to guard our hearts. I have hurt friends of mine and it grieves me to a point of tears. I never want to do it again and I pray that God would help me to watch what I say. 
    No person is perfect, but as Christian teens, we need to be striving after being like the One who is. We are Christ's, and because we are His we must crush the sin in our lives. In all areas. Gossip breaks the bond of unity between brethren in the church. That is horrible. We are the Bride of Christ! We should never ever break the bonds of unity to spread just one "juicy tidbit." What can you do to spur your friends away from gossip? Stand tall for Jesus. It may mean, in fact it probably will mean, standing alone. But with Him at our side, "though an army may encamp against me, my heart shall not fear, though war arise against me, yet I will be confident." (Psalm 27:3) Standing up to gossip is conquering sin. Let us use our words to heal and to help, not to hurt."

6 comments:

  1. Such godly wisdom. I thank God for this important reminder. The Lord wants us to guard the reputation of one another. I needed to hear this today.

    You might enjoy reading Thomas Watson on the 6th commandment. Watson reminds us that "You shall not murder" can be applied when we 'murder' someone's reputation. The Puritan writes:
    "We must not injure another in his name. 'A good name is a precious balsam.' It is a great cruelty to murder a man in his name. We injure others in their name, when we calumniate and slander them. David complains, 'They laid to my charge things that I knew not.' Psa 35: 11...This is to behead others in their good name; it is an irreparable injury. No physician can heal the wounds of the tongue."
    http://www.ondoctrine.com/2wat0006.htm Great gold to mind in Thomas Watson on the 10 Commandments!

    I praise the Lord for your blog, Daniel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Here is another scripture that is particularly descriptive about gossip:

    The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts. Prov 18:8

    Isn't it true, that in the moment, gossip is "tasty" but then comes the realization of just what was taken in, down to our most inward parts. Where they gnaw away at our conscience. I say, flee the gossip! Thanking Jesus for your faithfulness, Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I just had somebody gossip about me for the first time, and it hurts. What makes it worse is the information being spread about me is false. I don't know what to do about it because I'll be leaving for Indiana in a few days and I'm afraid there won't be anyone around to tell the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jonathan, the truth will prevail. Let someone you know and trust know about it. They will defend you. I'm so sorry. God loves truth, it will come out in the end I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, but... It turns out it WASN'T gossip, but was just an elaborate and well-played con. Ask Jacob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will. So glad it wasn't gossip.

    ReplyDelete