Monday, December 5, 2011

Contentment

Contentment is derived from Content, which means in Webster’s dictionary, “Rest or quietness of the mind in the present condition; satisfaction which holds the mind in peace, restraining complaint, opposition, or further desire, and often implying a moderate degree of happiness”.

I have struggled with contentment immensely after moving up to IN, and leaving everyone I know. I have often wondered, “What if…?” or I’ve asked God on many an occasion, “Why? What good could come of moving away from most everyone I love?!”
Hebrews 13:5  Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
In his letter to the Philippians, Paul said, “Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.” (Philippians 4:11)
I came to realize about a year into being up here, that it really comes down to whether I truly believe that God is Sovereign (Supreme in power; possessing supreme dominion; as a sovereign ruler of the universe.) or not.
Matthew 10:29-30  Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.  (30)  But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.
God IS Sovereign! After being up here for two years, I realized one of the many reasons God had me come up here. To draw me closer to Him, and trust in Him! Also, He put in my life some Mennonites, who caused me to really search the scriptures, and to learn what I really believe, which I don’t think would have happened if I were around like-minded believers, because I would not have been challenged. God provided friends up here too, by having a couple families move up here as well.
God has his reasons, I have learned by experience. Who am I to questions his designs and purposes?
Romans 9:20-23  But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?"
We must be content, for God has put us where we are for a reason, but by being discontent, we rebel against God.

Soli deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment